“No matter how thin you slice it, there will always be two sides.”Baruch Spinoza.
Civil cases make up the majority of cases each year due to the huge spectrum of issues and common legal disputes they can cover. A civil rights lawyer is usually called upon either by a single person or a group of people after they file a lawsuit against another single person or a group. They are usually filed to obtain some form of compensation for damages, injuries or money that is owed, or another remedy such as an injunction. This article breaks down some of the most common types of civil cases. If you think you need a lawyer, you can click here for more information.
Tort claims are extremely common. These kinds of cases can be filed by someone who has been injured and been involved in an accident due to the negligence of an individual, business or another party. The case is filed in the hope of recovering compensation or damages from the other side which will cover things like medical bills, damage to property and loss of earnings. Tort claims can include:
- Medical malpractice
- Car/bike accidents
- Slips and falls
- Dog bites or other animal attacks
- The causing of emotional distress
When two parties sign a contract, they are bound by the legalities of the contract terms. So, when one side believes that the other is breaching the terms of the contract, a civil case is usually filed. There are several different kinds of contract disputes including:
- Landlord and tenant disputes
- Defective/dangerous products (consumer issues)
- Non-delivery of purchased goods
- Violation of a business agreement
- A dispute between a homeowner and a builder
Finally, you may have heard the term ‘class-action lawsuit’ used on many TV shows. A class-action lawsuit or claim is the term used for a group of people who wish to file a claim against a business or corporation. Examples include:
- A company providing a dangerous working environment
- Company exposing staff to dangerous chemicals
- Defective materials that have caused injuries
- A company that has defrauded the group
- Death or injuries caused by faulty products e.g. cars and vehicles
Many thanks to this article’s collaborators and sponsors to help produce this article.